Background

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Preschool Picnic Potluck

Today was my daughter's last day of preschool and her class celebrated with a picnic at the pond.  As you other moms out there know all to well the first question is what will we bring to the picnic?  I ran across this recipe that I used at a picnic years ago and decided to use it again today.  I must say it was a huge hit and with summer upon us and Memorial Day and 4th of July picnics around the corner, I thought I would share this recipe with you.  These ladybugs are a great way to get your little one to eat tomatos! Great for your next bug themed party!
Ladybug Appetizers
Taken from Taste Of Home's Quick Cooking Magazine July/August 2002
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 TBSP sour cream
1/2 tsp snipped chives
1/8 tsp minced parsley
1/8 tsp garlic salt
Black paste food coloring
36 butter flavored crackers
18 cherry tomatoes, quartered
18 large pitted ripe olives
72 fresh chive pieces (about 1 1/2 inches long)
In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add sour cream, chives, parsley and garlic salt; mix well.  Place 1 TBSP in a small plastic bag and tint black; set aside.
Spread remaining cream cheese mixture on crackers.  Arrange two tomato quarters on each for the ladybug wings.  For heads, halve the olives width wise; place one half on each cracker. Insert two chives into olives for antennae.  Use tinted cream cheese mixture to pipe spots onto wings. Yield: 3 dozen.

Now I am a busy mom, so I took a few short cuts. I did not count out the tomatos or the chives, so go easy on yourself.  I also did not pipe the black dots on - I simply mixed some in a bowl and used a toothpick to dot it on.  While the dots may not have been perfectly round, preschoolers don't mind!

I would love to hear how your ladybugs were a hit at your next gathering!

No comments:

Post a Comment